Currently in the process of creating your race schedule for 2013? Well I have a fabulous fall race suggestion for you. This past weekend Cheryl, Roxane, Cricket and I headed up to Mackinac Island for the Great Turtle half marathon. Roxane had recommended this race to us after she did it a few years ago. Never having been to the island and hearing about the post race costume party I was all in for this race.
Why is this race awesome you ask? Well the race has several perks:
- It is very reasonably priced at $40.
- The race starts at 11:30am so we were able to sleep in, which is unheard of during most races. We even took time for a nice breakfast before heading to the starting line.
- You don’t have to deal with car fumes. Instead you just have to make sure you watch where you step because you might mistakenly land in some horse manure.
- We might have been lucky with the weather this year but who doesn’t love running when it is in the 40′s?? That is the ideal temp in my opinion.
- It provides a challenging, hilly course showcasing the island and portions of their trail system. It also offers some fantastic views of the lake.
- A tech pullover is included in your registration fee
- The best finisher medal I have ever received! *see below pic
- If possible, try to stay the night after the race because the island throws a huge Halloween bash. The approximately 5 restaurants that are still open are jam packed with athletes vying for a prize in the costume contests. It was one of the best displays of creativity I have seen in a while since, as we all know, athletes can be a little competitive…
So when looking for that last event for your 2013 schedule make sure you consider taking a weekend to race on Mackinac Island before it shuts down for the winter. You will not regret it!